Freeport Public Schools Parent University is an event where parents can come to learn the very latest in a vast array of current topics. These free exciting workshops, conducted in English and Spanish, are an opportunity to sharpen parenting skills as we work together on life’s most important and demanding pursuit: raising successful children.
For more information, please visit the Freeport Public Schools website, www.freeportschools.org, and click on the Nov. 17, 2014 Parent University link found on the left side of the home page.
Registration for the workshops will open on November 4, 2014.
Date: November 17, 2014
Location: Freeport High School
Time: 7-9 p.m.
• What Is 3-D printing?
• How to Survive and Thrive in Middle School
• Is Your High School Child “On Track to College?”
• Growing Readers
• Digital Citizenship
• Make and Take Math Activities
• Surfing the Web 2.0: Looking for great websites to support your child’s learning?
• Growth Mindsets: Using positive language that encourages your child’s success
• Parents and Teachers Working Together to Support English Language Learners in High School English Courses
• Navigating the High School Experience
Parent University Schedule:
7-7:20 p.m.: Opening Presentation in Freeport High School Auditorium
7:30-8:10 p.m.: Attend Workshop Session
8:15-9 p.m.: Attend Workshop Session 2
Refreshments: Light refreshments will be provided
• Learn about 3D printing:
How Freeport High School has integrated this cutting edge technology into classroom instruction.
• Is Your High School Child “On Track to College?”:
Learn what it means to be on track for college by learning about graduation requirements, SAT tests, AP courses and extra-help opportunities at FHS.
• Growing Readers (K-6):
Learn what it means for a student to be on grade level in reading. Leave with strategies to help your child enjoy reading and ways to help your child at home.
• Digital Citizenship:
Learn about the importance of modeling digital citizenship. Explore strategies for discussing with our children both how and why we need to be conscious of what we post.
• Make and Take Math Activities:
Learn how to help your child at home in math by making and taking home activities and games that promote mathematical thinking and problem-solving.
• Surfing the Web 2.0:
Looking for great websites to support your child’s learning? Learn about a selection of great websites designed to support your child’s learning across content areas.
• Growth Mindsets:
Using positive language that encourages your child’s success. Learn how to use the latest research on motivation to help your child be the best that he or she can be!
• Parents and Teachers Working Together to Support English Language Learners in High School English Courses:
The new Common Core Learning Standards require students to engage deeply with complex texts within and across disciplines. This workshop is aimed at providing parents with perspective, tools and direction to help these unique children meet the demands of daily academic assignments.
• Navigating the High School Experience:
Learn tips and tricks to help your child get the most out of their Freeport High School experience.