Welcome to Columbus Avenue
150 N. Columbus Avenue
Freeport, NY 11520
(Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten)
Asbestos Abatement Project Letter (English) (Spanish)
Early Childhood Education Center
The Early Childhood Center is a very special school. The youngest learners in the District are here at Columbus. We have over 300 Universal Pre-K and over 200 Kindergarten students. Our motto is “It All Starts Here”. Through ‘hands-on’ experiences, the children learn about letters, sounds, numbers, and so much more. Coming to school is a joyful experience where the children begin their journeys to becoming ‘life-long learners’. For most, the journey begins with the morning bus ride. Children arrive each morning with big smiles and eager looks of anticipation. “What will today bring,” is the unspoken question of the day. Our goal is to help the youngest Freeport School District students begin their educational careers as confident people and excited about learning.
Our pre-k students attend five days a week for 2½ hours per day. During the morning or afternoon session basic literacy, numeracy, science and social studies skills are taught through direct instruction as well as through an integration of art, music, movement and play.
Our kindergarten children attend full days. The District’s Dual Language program begins here at Columbus for some of our students. Through the Dual Language program, the children receive instruction in both English and Spanish. Just as importantly, they learn about the other’s culture. Additionally, general education classes as well as classes for children with special needs are part of our kindergarten. We all learn from each other. While more “formal” than Pre-K, kindergarten children also learn through direct instruction as well as art, music, movement and play.
Dear Parents and Families of our incoming students,
My name is Cleopatra Panagiosoulis and I am the new Principal at Columbus Avenue Early Childhood Center. I am looking forward to meeting all of you this year through many of our upcoming school activities. This coming year will be an exciting one. We are looking forward to our Common Core curriculum that will be in place in our school.
As you probably know by now, our school hours have changed. Students will begin entering the building starting at 8:00 A.M. Students will be considered tardy at 8:15 AM. Students will be dismissed at 2:30 P.M. As always, please make your child’s school attendance a priority. Full-day attendance for children provides them with the structure and consistency that they’ll need to be successful learners in school.
Our school nurse, our secretarial staff and our custodial staff have been very busy during the summer to ensure that our school will be ready for September 8, 2015, the first day of school. Letters with all the information about the beginning of school will be mailed home sometime after August 20, but if you received a letter either in the spring or over the summer from the Health Office indicating that your child’s medical records are missing something, i.e. certain vaccinations, doctor’s signature, etc., you will not receive this letter until your child is cleared by the Health Office. You can drop off this information to the school at any time over the summer.
1. School bag – NO WHEELS – with your child’s full name inside of it
2. Lunch box/bag and thermos – optional for snack and/or lunch - with your child’s full name inside of it – Kindergarten only
3. The school supplies the crayons, scissors, pencils, glue, etc. that your child uses throughout the day while here at Columbus.
4. Your child will need crayons, scissors, pencils, and glue AT HOME for homework. You may want to keep them in a special box, in a special place so your child will know where they are when he needs them for homework.
5. At Back to School Night, your child’s teacher will inform you if there are any specific items that are needed for school/classroom.
1. Bulto o mochila – SIN RUEDAS - con el nombre completo de su niño/a adentro.
2. Lonchera y un termo – opcional para la merienda y/o almuerzo - PARA KÍNDER SOLAMENTE – con el nombre completo de su niño escrito adentro
3. La escuela provee los crayones, tijeras, lápices, pegamento, etc. que el niño usa durante el día mientras está en la escuela.
4. El niño necesitará estas mismas cosas EN LA CASA para hacer la tarea. Usted puede comprarlas y mantenerlas en una caja en un lugar especial en la casa, para que el niño sepa dónde están y las pueda usar para las tareas.
5. En la Noche de Regreso a la Escuela el maestro de su niño les informará si hay algunas otras cosas específicas que se necesitan para la clase.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com or call me at 516-867-5240.
Thank you for sharing your most precious possession with us, YOUR CHILD! I know that together, we can make their first years the most rewarding and exciting time in your child’s young life.